CUSTER COUNTY STAGE I FIRE RESTRICTIONS 7/11/2017
RESOLUTION # 2018-01
CUSTER COUNTY STAGE I FIRE RESTRICTIONS
WHEREAS, high temperatures and low precipitation have occurred within Custer County during the months of June and July, 2017 resulting in dry fuel conditions, poor soil moisture conditions and low water supplies which has contributed to a HIGH wildland fire danger; and
WHEREAS, the Custer County Board of County Commissioners declares that all the private land not under the jurisdiction of the municipalities or state or federal agencies is a high fire hazard area.
IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED, by the Custer County Commissioners that a County Stage I Fire Restrictions are in effect for all private lands in Custer County, due to HIGH wildland fire danger. The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire unless noted in the exemptions below.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
1. Persons with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
2. Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
3. Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
4. Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
5. All land within a city boundary is exempted.
You could be fined up to $5,000 individually or $10,000 for an organization and imprisonment up to 6 months for violating restrictions and closures.
You can be held liable for all suppression costs and damages if you start a fire.
IT IS FURTHER RESOLVED, that all activities that might potentially cause a fire shall cease immediately and be prohibited until further notice.
AN EXEMPTION DOES NOT ABSOLVE AN INDIVIDUAL OR ORGANIZATION FROM LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY FIRE STARTED BY THE EXEMPTED ACTIVITY.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, this resolution becomes effective at 9:00 AM on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 and shall remain in effect until such time as it may be amended or rescinded by the Board of Custer County Commissioners.
ADOPTED THIS 11th DAY OF JULY, 2017. CUSTER COUNTY COMMISSIONERS:
Linda Corbett, Clerk & Recorder